This service will help alleviate pressure in the NHS system by allowing Pharmacists to deal with UTI's with in the pharmacy and in appropriate cases to supply a medicine via PGD.
The service is being piloted and has a research element to it to enable the NHS to evaluate its success. This is a great opportunity for pharmacies and we would encourage you to sign up and ensure your pharmacy is providing the service.
The North East has seen great success in championing new pharmacy services which then have become national services over the years. We really hope you will agree with us that this is a unique opportunity to provide a useful service to your patients as well has help alleviate pressures within the NHS.
The contractual sign up for this service has been incorporated in the new PSNE Pharmacy Services contract that has been issued recently.
To help clarify the process please follow the steps below to ensure you are signed up and ready to go.
UTI Nitrofurantoin PGD Service - Sign Up Process
- Ensure you pharmacy has signed the new PSNE contract for Pharmacy Services.
Details can be found here. (Most will sign up via Pharmoutcomes but multiples will have been contacted via their head office).
- Once the pharmacy has signed the contract visit the UTI PGD Resource page
- Download the Service Spec, PGD and resources.
- Ensure you have all the consumables you need (e.g. dipsticks and sample pots).
- Ensure all relevant staff are briefed and PGD's are signed by the pharmacist.
- Visit Pharmoutcomes and fill in the UTI Nitrofurantoin PGD Sign Up Module. This module will required for you to give assurances that you are ready to provide. It will also trigger the set up payment.
- Once both the contract and the UTI PGD Sign up form are received by PSNE.
They will be reviewed and the UTI PGD module switched on for you to start the service .