The training will take place at
The Dryden Centre,
Attendance is free. If you would like to reserve a place, please email or phone Barbara Bailey (Babyclear Project Administrator) Tel: 01926 490111 / 01926 490190 Fax: 01926 678698 Email: email@example.com
Full Details of the training are listed below.
To enable participants to deliver person centred care and support that empowers and supports pregnant smokers to change their smoking behaviour and sustain the change.
This course will provide participants with the skills to:
• Establish a positive relationship with the pregnant smoker built on trust and agreement.
• Empower the pregnant smoker to make their own decisions about quitting smoking.
• Demonstrate you understand the difficulties associated with quitting smoking during pregnancy.
• Explore the pregnant woman’s personal beliefs about her continued smoking, including her internal feelings and any external criticism or environmental pressures she may be experiencing.
• Adopt a non-prescriptive negotiating style that supports the client’s desire to change and encourages her to consider all the issues and make positive choices.
• Respond specifically and appropriately to what the pregnant woman says, utilising reflecting listening, open questioning and summarising skills to elicit self- motivational statements.
• Provide confidence building messages to build up the woman’s self-esteem.
The focus of this course will be to increase and enhance the one-to-one communication skills of the participants, through experiential learning, role play, small group discussions, sharing of case studies and team work.
Agenda for day.
2pm - 2.20pm
Welcome, housekeeping details, introductions of trainers and participants.
Setting the context
The evidence of harm, a local perspective and an introduction to the babyClear approach
Understanding the problem
Why do some pregnant women continue to smoke and find it hard to stop?
Enabling behaviour change
How to deliver effective messages
Responding to Heart Sink Statements
In small groups participants will work with case studies to respond to heart sink statements.
Light Refreshments break
Carbon Monoxide Test
Delivering key messages/risks of smoking
Role play using Case Studies
Case studies include initial meeting and maintaining relationships
Risk Perception Tool and DVD
Frequently Asked Questions
Supervised by the trainer, participants will practice responding appropriately to a range of client statements.
Questions/Course Evaluation and close of training